CarAudioForum.com

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
96GreenBlazer

96GreenBlazer is on a distinguished road

2 Batteries?

hi, i was wondering if this would be safe and work properly to power two amps. all the wire being used is 1/0 gauge thank you for your time =)

http://img812.imageshack.us/f/scan0005ae.jpg/
96GreenBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

The wire between the two batteries should be fused at each end.

What are you trying to accomplish by adding a second battery? If you're trying to increase the time you can listen to the system without the engine running, then you should include a battery isolator or a high-current relay to prevent the starter battery from being drained.
KaeZoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
96GreenBlazer

96GreenBlazer is on a distinguished road

im running a Hifonics BXi 2010D powering two RE Audio SEX12d2's. then my Boss CX350 is powering my four Pioneer TS-D1702R's. the 4 channel speaker amp has 8 gauge power and ground but the rest of the wire is 1/0 gauge, i want a extra battery because im afraid i wont have enough power for two amps on one battery.
96GreenBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of people who will argue with me on this. But I've never been a believer in adding additional batteries for a system that's not typically going to be used with the engine off. Under normal conditions, the batteries do not produce power while the engine is running; they're just another load on the alternator. If your alternator can't keep up with your amplifiers' current requirements, then an extra battery will hurt more than it will help.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Smoove

Smoove is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
There are plenty of people who will argue with me on this. But I've never been a believer in adding additional batteries for a system that's not typically going to be used with the engine off. Under normal conditions, the batteries do not produce power while the engine is running; they're just another load on the alternator. If your alternator can't keep up with your amplifiers' current requirements, then an extra battery will hurt more than it will help.

Yes youre right i do disagree with u a little because when your amps need power to draw from they will get it from the extra battery and then the alt will charge the battery or batteries. It is another load on the alternator yes but if your electrical drops to low(due to lack of battery power) then you over work your alt and then you can kiss your alt goodbye. Just playing music or whatever you do, if you have more battery power on tap than your car (car stereo) needs then your alt would have to work less to maintain proper voltages i would think. But yeah first you start with a strong alternator to keep up with your system, i went with 270 XP from dc power and if thats not enough then add batteries
Smoove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
badmofo529

badmofo529 is just really nicebadmofo529 is just really nicebadmofo529 is just really nicebadmofo529 is just really nice

if you dont have a good alt an extra batt is going to be like a cap by making your charging system work harder
badmofo529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

On the illustration it says 280 amp alternator... if that's accurate, I would use one battery, if its not, make it accurate and use one battery!
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
bainmeister

bainmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GreenBlazer View Post
hi, i was wondering if this would be safe and work properly to power two amps. all the wire being used is 1/0 gauge thank you for your time =)

http://img812.imageshack.us/f/scan0005ae.jpg/
yes that can be done however:
1. you forgot to fuse both ends of the connecting wire from battery 1 to battery 2.
2. it would be advisable to get a cheap battery isolater. this help regulate the charging between the 2 batteries, otherwise your amps would still be pulling a load from both batteries at the same time. a batt isolater allows that weakest battery to be charged more. it also helps if you do something stupid like leave your steao on and run down your battery, you still would be able to start your car. Do a search., some amp manufactures make isolaters that look like small amps that go under the hood, others look real crappy.
bainmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
kappaball

kappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
Yes youre right i do disagree with u a little because when your amps need power to draw from they will get it from the extra battery and then the alt will charge the battery or batteries. It is another load on the alternator yes but if your electrical drops to low(due to lack of battery power) then you over work your alt and then you can kiss your alt goodbye. Just playing music or whatever you do, if you have more battery power on tap than your car (car stereo) needs then your alt would have to work less to maintain proper voltages i would think. But yeah first you start with a strong alternator to keep up with your system, i went with 270 XP from dc power and if thats not enough then add batteries
Is this accurate? I'm also trying to add an extra battery in the rear so that my primary battery doesn't drain from car audio use.
kappaball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
KaeZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaball View Post
Is this accurate? I'm also trying to add an extra battery in the rear so that my primary battery doesn't drain from car audio use.
It's accurate in the sense that a second battery, isolated from the starter battery, can allow you to play music with the engine off and not drain the primary battery. It's not accurate that additional batteries mean your alternator won't have to work as hard to maintain proper voltage levels. Remember that no battery will produce any power at all until the system voltage has fallen below the battery voltage (typically 12.8 volts). Until that point, any battery in the system is a consumer of alternator power, not a producer.

Smoove seems to be thinking that power is drawn from the battery or batteries first, then the alternator has to work harder to recharge them. That's not true at all; when the engine is running, the alternator is the source of all power until the system voltage drops to the point that the battery begins to discharge.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
It's accurate in the sense that a second battery, isolated from the starter battery, can allow you to play music with the engine off and not drain the primary battery. It's not accurate that additional batteries mean your alternator won't have to work as hard to maintain proper voltage levels. Remember that no battery will produce any power at all until the system voltage has fallen below the battery voltage (typically 12.8 volts). Until that point, any battery in the system is a consumer of alternator power, not a producer.

Smoove seems to be thinking that power is drawn from the battery or batteries first, then the alternator has to work harder to recharge them. That's not true at all; when the engine is running, the alternator is the source of all power until the system voltage drops to the point that the battery begins to discharge.
You are correct sir... if you remove the battery with your car running it will continue to run unless the alternator is bad... reason being, the alternator is your source for power production. If you have an alternator capable of keeping up with a high current electrical system, you have no need for an additional battery unless you listen with the car off. If you only listen with the car running, I find it next to impossible to justify the added weight , cost, and loss of space you would use for an additional battery.
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
Scanyland

Scanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud ofScanyland has much to be proud of

But doesn't the charge from the alternator first go through the battery, the alternator doesn't go directly to the car, or am I mistaken.
Scanyland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
kappaball

kappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanyland View Post
But doesn't the charge from the alternator first go through the battery, the alternator doesn't go directly to the car, or am I mistaken.
I think both. Keeps the batt charged while providing all the accessories with current.
kappaball is offline   Reply With Quote