CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
alanlyon

alanlyon is on a distinguished road

Do you need rear speakers?

I am putting a stereo in a 2011 RAV4. The salesman recommended I not put in rear speakers. I thought about and it makes some sense but I wanted to get some other opinions. If I go with 1 set of speakers I can do $1,000 set of speakers. If I do rear speakers I have to drop down to $500 speakers. I will be using Hertz speakers in the front. If I do rear speakers I will use the JLAudio C5 midrange with no tweeter. The speakers will driven with a JLAudio Slash 300/2. I am considering get a second JLAudio Slash 300/2 and running 300 watts through each of the front speakers. I have a JLAudio 8W7 that I will be driving with a Slash 250/1.

Is anyone running a system with only front speakers? The $1,000 speakers sound better than the $500 speakers, which makes sense they couldn't get double the price if the were not better. I just want to spend my money wisely and get the best quality sound I can get.

Thanks for you help
alanlyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
rocker_topper

rocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these parts

Im sure you can find WAY better comp sets for less than $1000. Spending that much on door speakers seems like overkill to me. Get a set of comps that you can run off a single jl 450/4. That's plenty of power to get loud and clear and you have less amps to worried about powering.
rocker_topper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Not only do you not need rearfill (rear speakers)... I (and most others on this board) recommend against using rearfill. Listen to the shop you are using, it sounds like they are pointing you in the right direction. Its not Auto Crafters in Daytona by any chance, is it?
GM4WALLS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker_topper View Post
Im sure you can find WAY better comp sets for less than $1000. Spending that much on door speakers seems like overkill to me. Get a set of comps that you can run off a single jl 450/4. That's plenty of power to get loud and clear and you have less amps to worried about powering.
Just going by the fact that he said they were Hertz comps... I will venture to guess it is the Hertz Mille set he is contemplating, and you won't find a much better sounding set of comps for the money. They can be had for less money, but the Milles are superb sounding comps. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for a second.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
rocker_topper

rocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these partsrocker_topper is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS View Post
Just going by the fact that he said they were Hertz comps... I will venture to guess it is the Hertz Mille set he is contemplating, and you won't find a much better sounding set of comps for the money. They can be had for less money, but the Milles are superb sounding comps. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for a second.
Maybe its just methen but spending a thousand dollars on a set of comps seems like huge overkill. I mean they may be good but I'm sure you could prolly find some comps relatively close to the quality of those for half the price or less right?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
GM4WALLS

Quote:
Maybe its just methen but spending a thousand dollars on a set of comps seems like huge overkill. I mean they may be good but I'm sure you could prolly find some comps relatively close to the quality of those for half the price or less right?
Comps much like HU has a lot to do with personal preference. If there wasn't a differenc in quality/sound between a $500 set and a $1,000 set, they would never sell any of the $1,000 sets. With some companies the difference in quality from their base line to their top of the line set has a smaller gap than other companies. For other companies the gap is huge. It all boils down to what you want out of your system.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
rocker_topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS View Post
Comps much like HU has a lot to do with personal preference. If there wasn't a differenc in quality/sound between a $500 set and a $1,000 set, they would never sell any of the $1,000 sets. With some companies the difference in quality from their base line to their top of the line set has a smaller gap than other companies. For other companies the gap is huge. It all boils down to what you want out of your system.
True true. I'm just trying to save the Guy money. I know in this economy Money is a VERY precious thing. Its second only to a job right now.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
GM4WALLS

Quote:
True true. I'm just trying to save the Guy money. I know in this economy Money is a VERY precious thing. Its second only to a job right now.
You could save him money across the board... different amps, different sub, different front stage, but the reality is that he picked this equipment for a reason... maybe he heard it and loved it. Maybe he is brand blind... who knows, but he didn't ask for advice on different equipment, he asked for advice on rearfill or no rearfill. There really aren't a lot of compsets that sound as good (to me anyway) as the Milles. I like Rainbow comps as well... some like CDT, some like Alpine, some Pioneer... I am sure he knows he can save money by using the $500 compset he was going to get originally.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
alanlyon

No, Freeman's in Charlotte

Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
alanlyon

I appreciate everyone's advice and time. I am considering the Hertz Mille and the Herts Hi Energy components. I heard the Hi Energy and really liked them. I am going to listen the Mille's this week. I guess I should list what I have and what I need to buy. I have a set of JLAudio C5s. I have the JLAudio 8W7 and the JLAudio Slash 300/2 and 250/1. I am going to sell the C5s and buy a pair of Hertz. I plan to buy the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD as a HU. I like the way it works with the iPhone. I am trying to save money by reusing my amps and sub. If I sell the C5s and the JLAudio amp that drove my rear speakers the Mille's are almost a wash, plus I save installation money. In 6 weeks I will be 50. I want plenty of power but the most important thing to me is a great sound stage. I don't have the time nor the ability to install this myself. I prefer to buy everything from my local dealer so if it has a problem I can take it back to them and say make it right. I have seen the Mille's on the net for less money but peace of mind is worth $150 to me.

Again I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. It made sense to me not to have rear speakers because in a home system you don't have rear speakers when listening to stereo. I am in to high-end home systems as well. When I listen to music DVDs or SACDs I listen in stereo not DTS or Dolby 5.1.

If anyone has any other ideas I am open to suggestions. I am not going to install this until the last weekend in April so I have time to consider options.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
GM4WALLS

Good luck, I think you will be fine with your choices.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
br030hk

br030hk is on a distinguished road

hi

Hi, a month ago I was also in your shoe. I eventually decided on MLK 165 (baby mille) and its well worth sacrificing the rears. Well.. sacrifice might not be the proper word..

Info in following link might be helpful.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-speakers.html
br030hk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Adcom

Adcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how I equate rear fill. When you go to a concert, do you sit with your back to the stage? Can you place instruments on a stage properly with your back to it. No, you sit facing a stage. Even if you close your eyes, you can tell where the bass guitar is playing vs. drums. Same thing with a car audio system. You want the music out in front of you (sound stage). Adding rear fill draws the sound stage to the rear seats where it doesn't belong.

I'd recommend buying the best component set of speakers you can afford, and do the best install on those you can afford.

You don't have to buy an amplifier that matches the power ratings of your speakers (eg. 50W speaker rating = 50W/channel amp). Buy an amp that exceeds the ratings of your speakers, and use the volume knob judiciously.

Rear fill sucks IMHO.
Adcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
redbarchetta

redbarchetta is a jewel in the roughredbarchetta is a jewel in the roughredbarchetta is a jewel in the roughredbarchetta is a jewel in the rough

I still think I'm the odd man out. I like rear fill. I'm running comps up front and a sub way in the back of my Toyota FJ. Some songs I get a good blend between the sub and comps, other songs, there is very little blend between the two at all. You hear the components up front and the sub way in the back.

Plus, I'm passenger conscience. I want my passengers to have a nice audio experience as well. You have to figure ( at least in my case ). My passengers get a muffled front stage because the audio has to get past a driver, through the seats which IS going to absorb some of the frequencies and bouncing round this and that. Not to mention, they are going to have a sub pounding right behind them.

I suppose some would say it's a trade off, some would say no rear fill at all. Ultimately it's up to you and what you're after. I will say that when I had a Toyota Tacoma truck, I loved the comps up front and the sub behind the seat, I got a LOT better blend. Suppose it was because the sub was much closer to the comps up front.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt. Just giving you a different perspective.
redbarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote