CarAudioForum.com

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Zixxerguy

Zixxerguy is on a distinguished road

Subwoofer not working

I have a Alpine 12" type X with an Alpine PDX1000 amp powering it. The sub was working fine then one day it started cutting in and out. Instead of unplugging the amp until I could check it out i kept listening to it. Well it stopped working completely one day so I finally started checking it out and found one of the wires going to the sub was unhooked. i hooked it up and it worked fine for a couple days and it stopped again checked again and the wire was like coroded or something like its been getting real hot. It ill hook it up and it will do it again, it's got 2 different spots to hook it up and it does it either way I hook it up. Anyone have any suggestions of what to try or did I mess the sub up? thanks
Zixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the wire, inspect the connection for a bad solder joint.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxerguy View Post
it's got 2 different spots to hook it up and it does it either way I hook it up.

Are you saying you are only hooking up one voice coil?

What amp are you using, and how exactly do you have your sub wired.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Zixxerguy

I got a bigger wire and have it hooked straight from the sub to amp and it seems to be working alright for now. It's an alpine PDX1000 amp and I have it hooked straight up just like it was when I bought it used. I've seen something about jumpers and stuff but honestly I'm new to big subs and don't know what all that mean with the different ohms and stuff. haha

Old 11-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Zixxerguy

I don't think anyway it's been a while since I've had the sub out of the box. It's been sitting for like a year and I just decided to get it out and try and figure it out.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if you are using the pdx1000, it can give you 1000 rms at 2 or 4 ohms. And if you only have one voice coil hooked up then you are probably burning it up.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...1&woofer_imp=4

you should have your sub hooked up like the 2 ohm load.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Zixxerguy

Mines got the jumpers on the outside. So i should hook one positve up to one coil and the negative on the other coil?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Zixxerguy

i found a diagrahm in the owners manual for the sub and i just hooked both wires on the very bottom to get 2 ohms and the jumpers on the sides.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Mordrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxerguy View Post
i found a diagrahm in the owners manual for the sub and i just hooked both wires on the very bottom to get 2 ohms and the jumpers on the sides.

Hopefully that will help some.