CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
dulas

dulas is a jewel in the roughdulas is a jewel in the roughdulas is a jewel in the rough

Fi BL 18"

I am considerin buying a new subwoofer: an 18" Fi BL dual 2.

My question is this: Do you guys think 1100 watts rms clean power is enough for this thing? If it is a dual 2 ohm then is there a way I could wire a single sub so the amp sees a 2 ohm load?

Thank you!
dulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

no you would need the dual 1 version to wire to 2ohm 1100watts would probably be fine just dont get all the extra power handling upgrades.
rasheedfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
dulas

dulas is a jewel in the roughdulas is a jewel in the roughdulas is a jewel in the rough

Thanks...but I guess I wont be putting a bid in ont he Fi since the impedence is wrong. Oh well, patience is a virtue.

So I still am leaning heavily towards fi woofers. I really like what they have to offer. Right now I really cant decide between the BL, the Q, or the SSD. Either way im thinking im going with a single 15", and I have roughly 1100 clean watts RMS to play with. I realize both the BL and the Q are rated at 1500 watts, so im a bit concerned about the power shortage issue there. On the other hand, the SSD is rated at 1000 watts, and I could add some of the options to make it more robust, but im afraid im selling myself short.

Is there a marked difference in SPL between the SSD and the BL? And obviosly the Q isnt built for SPL but does it still thump with authority nonetheless? I have never heard these drivers in person and have no way to becasue the audio shops around my neck of the woods give you this stupid look when you mention brands like fi and ssa. Help me out. Please.

Last edited by dulas; 01-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
PontiacGP

PontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant future

I have a q15 last gen running on a rockford t1000 1bd. 2.5 cuft sealed and polyfill. Speaker gets very loud and low with good quality. Im very happy with its sound.
PontiacGP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
dulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGP View Post
I have a q15 last gen running on a rockford t1000 1bd. 2.5 cuft sealed and polyfill. Speaker gets very loud and low with good quality. Im very happy with its sound.
Thank you. Thats what I was wondering. 15"s arnt often SQ woofers but I had a feeling this one might be different. Glad to hear it gets loud though too.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
MysteryMethod

Location: Everyone knows Cougar is cooler than Adcom. Deal with it
MysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond reputeMysteryMethod has a reputation beyond repute

I ran two 18 Fi Q's Great SQ and very loud. I also owned a 15 BL. You can't go wrong with FI.
MysteryMethod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
dulas

So how big of an issue would it be to run a Q or a BL at only 2/3 of its rated power? am I asking for trouble?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
dulas

Ive pretty much made up my mind that I will be purchasing a 15" fi SSD, running it ported around 3 cubes tuned to 33hz.

So, next question:

Given I have 1100 watts, what options should I add to this woofer, if any?

*Hoping I can sell my type X's and still have some cash leftover to get a custom box built. The 15" SSD with all options goes for a little under $300, so it should be okay as I see single type X's go for around $200 on ebay.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Given your 1100wrms...you could also look at the SSA Icon. It will do very well in the enclosure space you want to go with as well.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
dulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
Given your 1100wrms...you could also look at the SSA Icon. It will do very well in the enclosure space you want to go with as well.

Ive looked at it, its my second choice.

All other factors being equal,In the exact same enclosure, what sub would win in the SQ department? SPL?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
dulas

Bump to this thread.

I am throwing my X's on ebay tomorrow so id really like all your feedback on this. Any Fi reps on here?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
PontiacGP

PontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulas View Post
Thank you. Thats what I was wondering. 15"s arnt often SQ woofers but I had a feeling this one might be different. Glad to hear it gets loud though too.
It handles faster beats pretty well for a 15" driver. I'm sure there are other speakers out there that could be better, but for a $$ to performance ratio, Fi is hard to beat imo. I'm also considering an ICON 12 to put in my truck because I have been told it sounds similar to the Q. The q12 mounting depth is too deep to fit in my standard cab truck or else I'd go with it. i really like the sound.
PontiacGP is offline   Reply With Quote