CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
george1981

george1981 is on a distinguished road

I can hear my engine through my speakers

Don't know if this is the correct place to put the post,sorry if its not. Hi,i have my custom made car stereo system,its all pionner,head unit amps sub woofer and speakers. I have if or like 4-5 years,i haven't touched it. One day for some weird reason i started hearing the engine through my speakers, but occasionally for a few minutes,then one day i got a flat tire, i took the woofer out,with out disconnecting the wires,they are long enough,but when i places the tire back and everything the engine is more frequent to the point of almost never stop be heard by the speakers. When i hit road humps it goes silent, sometimes for hours,sometimes for a few minutes. I did notice today that one of my speakers is mute,could it be that a wire is loose or not connecting ok with the amp?? Thank you
george1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you need to check your rca wires, one may be loose.

after that if that doesnt fix it, check your ground wire to make sure all the connections are perfectly clean and tight.

report back after you do these things.
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
george1981

george1981 is on a distinguished road

I did check them at the back of the head unit,all is ok,but i will check it on the amp,thanks,i will reply you back
george1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
reddude157

reddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond repute

after four or five years i bet the ground spot for the amp has some rust on it.clean it up and make it nice and tight also do the same on the hu ground even tho it may look good clean it up copper does oxidize over time.
reddude157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
FutureFuzz 26

FutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond repute

The fallowing is according to the local dealer, i was in there not too long ago with a very similar question, he told me that if your amp is getting bad ground the amp will try to ground back through the RCA's, leaving you with that nasty engine noise..

however for me that was not the problem, it was cheap RCA's that i replaced.. and WALA no unwanted noise
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
JBurke494

JBurke494 is infamous around these partsJBurke494 is infamous around these partsJBurke494 is infamous around these parts

based on what i have had people come into the shop saying they have the same problem sometimes tends to be because they ran there RCAs along the same side of the car (under the side paneling) as the power and ground wire. When i do a setup i do the power and ground on the driver side and the RCA (bass knob etc) down the passenger side because of the reason you listed above
JBurke494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond reputerasheedfan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurke494 View Post
based on what i have had people come into the shop saying they have the same problem sometimes tends to be because they ran there RCAs along the same side of the car (under the side paneling) as the power and ground wire. When i do a setup i do the power and ground on the driver side and the RCA (bass knob etc) down the passenger side because of the reason you listed above
i swear people say this sh!t at least 4times a week, im actually getting tired of calling you idiots.
rasheedfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP can eliminate ground loops as being a source of induced alternator whine, it is possible the head unit's pico fuse has been compromised...Pioneers are great head units, but they have a delicate protection circuit that is easily damaged if connections to the radio (including RCAs) are made with the battery of the vehicle "hot" or connected.

If wrapping a wire around the outer barrels of the RCA outputs on the back of the head unit and grounding one end to the head unit chassis reduces or eliminates the alternator whine, the pico fuse is probably the culprit.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=pionee...1t:429,r:0,s:0

Wrapping a wire like this is a band-aid and not a "fix", so if doing this helps the head unit might be best serviced through an authorized Pioneer service center.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...revention.html
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
MUSICALMISCHIEF

MUSICALMISCHIEF is on a distinguished road

Alternator whine

Can someone please explain to me what is causing this.
1-I came to the conclusion that is was coming from my pre-amp because when i by-passed it NO NOISE!

2- I changed the RCA cables from my Head Unit to Pre-amp and the ones from my pre-amp to Amplifier - Same problem Engine whine

3- I re-routed and secured the power and grounding to my Pre-Amp and- Same problem Engine whine

4-I replaced My pre-amp with a new crossover-Same problem Engine whine

5- I moved the location of the new crossover from the front of my car near the head unit to the trunk -Same problem Engine whine

6-i decided to to by-pass the crossover because i can live without hearing that irritating noise

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT IS CAUSING THIS...!
MUSICALMISCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSICALMISCHIEF View Post
1-I came to the conclusion that is was coming from my pre-amp because when i by-passed it NO NOISE!

2- I changed the RCA cables from my Head Unit to Pre-amp and the ones from my pre-amp to Amplifier - Same problem Engine whine

3- I re-routed and secured the power and grounding to my Pre-Amp and- Same problem Engine whine

5- I moved the location of the new crossover from the front of my car near the head unit to the trunk -Same problem Engine whine

6-i decided to to by-pass the crossover because i can live without hearing that irritating noise

I would have started a new thread for your problem. It may be a ground loop...if there is a difference in ground potential between where your head unit, your pre amp and your amplifier are grounded, you can get noise.

Try tying all the grounds together with a small wire and see if that helps. If that doesn't help and you have a Pioneer (or Kenwood) head unit, try wrapping a bare wire around the outer barrels of any/all RCA pre-outs on the back of the unit and grounding the end on the back of the head unit's case. If that doesn't reduce or eliminate the noise, it may be a faulty component inside your pre-amp.

What brands/models of equipment are we talking about?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
MUSICALMISCHIEF

I dont think it is a ground loop because when i moved it to the trunk i connected it directly to a battery i have in the trunk. The Head Unit is a Pioneer and the Pre-amp is Power Acoustic.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I dont think it is a ground loop because when i moved it to the trunk i connected it directly to a battery i have in the trunk. The Head Unit is a Pioneer and the Pre-amp is Power Acoustic.
You are welcome to skip any and all troubleshooting steps you see fit, but eliminating noise requires a methodical approach.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=149957

http://caraudioforum.com/flowchart/

It could also be that the Power Acoustik piece just has poor noise rejection properties- many budget friendly pieces from shady brands like that are good at letting noise into an otherwise quiet system.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

brand of crossover?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
MUSICALMISCHIEF

the crossover brand is Lanzer

Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
only126db

Banned

another mediocre brand not known for quality...

do you have to have a preamp/crossover?