CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
jmardant

jmardant is on a distinguished road

need help with dimming lights

hi guys newbie here, i currently have 2 kicker L7 12s powered by a zx1500.1 mono block amp wired @ 2ohms, running infinity components powered by a zx350.4, optima red top for starting battery and a Soundstream SCELL-1000 in the back for power, ive ran the Big 3 (0g), 250amp alternator, and my headlights are still dimming and my voltage drops from high 14s to mid 13s when the subs hit, and help would be greatly appreciated, ty
jmardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
jmardant

really? no comments?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
9801joseph

9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold

Thats odd..

It seems like you should have plenty of power on hand with the 250 amp alternator. Check/redo all of your grounds, going so far as to brush wheel the metal down to shiny bright chassis steel. With the extra the battery in the trunk, Im not sure why youre getting dimming. Your amps should be drawing their voltage from the aux battery, which should negate any voltage drop.

Do you own or have access to a digi multimeter?
How new is your alternator?
Are you willing to get a more efficient amp?
9801joseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
jmardant

all ground locations were sanded to bright shinny metal with 80g sandpaper, all connectors on ground wires were soldered after crimping, alternator is 3-4 weeks old. a more efficiant amp? i want 1500w on my subs they sound bad with less power

Last edited by jmardant; 03-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Which alternator did you buy?

There are some HO alternators on the market intended for other applications that make rated power at high revs but can actually put out less than a stock alternator at idle. Some of the better ones for car audio applications will offer a significant improvement over stock at idle and lower revs.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
jmardant

quality power 6g alternator, 140amp@idle 250amp@2200rpm

Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
jmardant

all together im at just under 1900w, is the Soundstream SCELL-1000 capable of handling that?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmardant View Post
i want 1500w on my subs they sound bad with less power
Your subs sound bad with less power....
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmardant View Post
quality power 6g alternator, 140amp@idle 250amp@2200rpm
More than enough for your system. A ~1.25v drop on hard bass hits isn't a big deal. I assume you did the "big 3." This is one of those cases where a cap may help, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9801joseph View Post
It seems like you should have plenty of power on hand with the 250 amp alternator. Check/redo all of your grounds, going so far as to brush wheel the metal down to shiny bright chassis steel. With the extra the battery in the trunk, Im not sure why youre getting dimming. Your amps should be drawing their voltage from the aux battery, which should negate any voltage drop.
No, his amps should not draw their voltage (or more accurately current) from the aux battery.

Amps draw their current from the alternator. When the alternator can't keep up with current demand, then voltage begins to drop (per Ohm's Law). If/when the voltage drops to ~12.4v (battery voltage), then electrical system will draw current from both batteries and the alternator.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
jmardant

so maybe a battery isolator to stop the headlights from dimming and i shouldn't have any problems with power?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious- where do you have the amplifier gains set? Do you have bass boost type features engaged?

If you have the recommended fuses installed on or inline with each amplifier, they can pull up to 190 amperes combined between them (more than the 140 you say your HO alternator puts out at idle or low revs) if you have the amplifiers driven into clipping and drawing close to their fuse rating...improper gain structure and bass boost are probably the biggest contributing factors of clipping.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
jmardant

im not clipping the speakers, set the gains with dmm as per http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/am...al-2010-a.html, actually dailed them down a bit after that just to make sure, and i never use bass boost

Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
jmardant

ive even taken the car out of overdrive and ran down the road at 5k rpm, still the lights dim

Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
jmardant

guess what i really need to know is if the Soundstream SCELL-1000 is worth a crap, should i scrap it and go with a yellow/blue top?