CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
madness88

madness88 is on a distinguished road

Why does my sub and amp keep cutting out every 5 minutes?

Basically whats happening is that my sub keeps turning off, and to get it back working and on again i have to wiggle the two bits of power cable on the in-line fuse, the in-line fuse sparks, and the amp turns on again and its all working, but for only 5 minutes or so then back to normal. What would be causing this to happen? it's a fairly old sub and amp i think, maybe i just need a new set up?
i got a vibe fly 1000w sub with a 500w toxic amp attatched to it, HU is a Sony BT something or anover.
madness88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Jaws

Jaws has a spectacular aura aboutJaws has a spectacular aura aboutJaws has a spectacular aura about

sounds like you have a bad connection at your fuse holder.
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

It could be a number of different things- you'll want to check the integrity of your power and ground connections, your speaker connections and test your fuses, and ensure the sub is wired to present a manageable load to the amp. You'll also want to observe the amp when it shuts off to see if a protection circuit is being engaged.

A digital multimeter (with a decent enough one costing as little as $26 @ Sears) is a valuable trouble shooting tool that should help narrow it down. Fuses can look good to the naked eye and still be a problem- measure resistance across the fuse or test continuity. You should have at least 12V at the power connection, towards 13V with engine running. Your ground should be made to clean and shiny bare metal using the same size wire as your power cable- use a new bolt/nut/start washer to trap a ring terminal through the floor pan, and avoid using existing bolts (seat and seat belt bolts make notoriously bad grounds). If all of these things check out, it could be an internal amplifier problem or damaged voice coil/coils on the subwoofer. Measure resistance across each and every voice coil, compare against manufacturer's nominal impedance spec- it should be close, and anything drastically different would indicate a burned voice coil.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness88 View Post
Basically whats happening is that my sub keeps turning off, and to get it back working and on again i have to wiggle the two bits of power cable on the in-line fuse, the in-line fuse sparks, and the amp turns on again and its all working, but for only 5 minutes or so then back to normal. What would be causing this to happen? it's a fairly old sub and amp i think, maybe i just need a new set up?
i got a vibe fly 1000w sub with a 500w toxic amp attatched to it, HU is a Sony BT something or anover.
I'd probably fix the connections at the fuse. Maybe just replace the whole fuse holder and fuse.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
madness88

Cheers guys i'll have to have a more thourough look at it a bit later, and maybe replace the fuse holder and fuse, i don't think there that expensive? i'm saving for a newer system but for now, this problem is just annoying me. Sometimes the sound out of the speakers suddenly stop working aswell, they make a loud hissing white noise sound, i don't know what this could be or if it's linked.
Thanks for the help

Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
madness88

Problem sorted, thanks for the help, i had a closer look at the fuse and figured you could take the fuse out looked at it and it was snapped so went and got a new fuse, and hooked it up better as it was a bit loose, i didn't wire it first time though cuz not very good at stuff like that, but i recon i done a fairly good job of it to be honest the only thing now i hoping it will stay ok till i get a better sub, in which case i'll prob be back on here asking reccomendations etc. The only thing now is to try and figure out what the issue is with the sound cutting out and all the speakers making a loud hissing sound, it's totaly random, biut it could be doing it on certain frequencies of songs, the speakers seem to be all wired up fine aswell. If anyones got any ideas on why that m,ight be happening i would be very greatful.
Many thanks