CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
amrogers3

amrogers3 is on a distinguished road

Bose system for 1999 Acura CL 2.3

Hello all, I'm new here, hope you guys are friendly to newbies. I know zero about car audio. I don't trust going to Bestbuy and asking those guys. My wife wants to replace our stock stereo system in our 1999 Acura CL 2.3. I tried to find some specs on the stock Bose system but came up with nothing. I believe it is a single DIN.

From reading some stuff online, I believe it is either 80W or 100W, not sure. We bought the car used so not sure what it came with new.

Anyway, without having to spend $$$, what would you recommend for a replacement system? The speakers sound ok, don't think we need to replace them, she just wants something she can plug her iPod into. Plus the car is so old, doesn't make sense to upgrade to an expensive system.

Thanks in advance.
amrogers3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
pontiacfieroguy

Banned

pontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond repute

without spending any money id pm sc2dave and get him to steal something for you.
pontiacfieroguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
amrogers3

haha, not saying can't spend money. I'm saying I don't want to spend a lot of money, hence the $$$. Who would want to on a 13 year old car?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
ELDeFontes

ELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to beholdELDeFontes is a splendid one to behold

Mines 10 years old and I'm adding about 1800$ of equipment into it. All about personal preference.
ELDeFontes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
fattytca

fattytca has a spectacular aura aboutfattytca has a spectacular aura about

Exactly. You don't add after market stereo equipment to make your old car more valuable. You add it to make listening to music in in more enjoyable. What is your exact budget?
fattytca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
amrogers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDeFontes View Post
Mines 10 years old and I'm adding about 1800$ of equipment into it. All about personal preference.
hahaha, that would be ridiculous. My car isn't even worth $1800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytca View Post
Exactly. You don't add after market stereo equipment to make your old car more valuable. You add it to make listening to music in in more enjoyable. What is your exact budget?
Less than $100.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
pontiacfieroguy

Banned

pontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
hahaha, that would be ridiculous. My car isn't even worth $1800.

Less than $100.
buy your wife a pair of headphones and be done with it ya cheapskate motherfvcker

Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
amrogers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacfieroguy View Post
buy your wife a pair of headphones and be done with it ya cheapskate motherfvcker
That was her call asshole. F*** you dude. Nice welcome for a new member.

My bad I don't have $$$ to spend on a system. What a dick.

Last edited by amrogers3; 11-24-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
ricksi30

ricksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond reputericksi30 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is a Bose system it is a pain in the *** to upgrade without replacing everything. Obviously it will be a little different being a different vehicle but take a look at this. http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
ricksi30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
amrogers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksi30 View Post
Because it is a Bose system it is a pain in the *** to upgrade without replacing everything. Obviously it will be a little different being a different vehicle but take a look at this. http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
Thanks man, that's good info there.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Duct Tape

Associate

Duct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacfieroguy View Post
Next time you act like this outside of wot, i wont hesitate to give you a timeout.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
pontiacfieroguy

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
That was her call asshole. F*** you dude. Nice welcome for a new member.

My bad I don't have $$$ to spend on a system. What a dick.
if you have a tape player you could buy an adapter that plugs into your ipod and play it that way. sorry I came off as a dick but you are asking an expensive question and expecting a cheap answer. the car audio game is expensive to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
Next time you act like this outside of wot, i wont hesitate to give you a timeout.
that was my way of telling him that if he only has $100 to spend and wants to listen to his ipod in a car that old with bose then he needs a set of headphones or a tape adapter

Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you're happy with the sound quality of the existing speaker system, then you can just replace the head unit and let it work with the Bose amplifier. This isn't difficult, but the Bose system requires an additional part. You can buy a premium sound adapter and wire it together with a Honda/Acura harness; both of these should be available at any car audio store. An easier option would be to buy this adapter:

clicky clicky

This is just an integration adapter combined with a Honda harness. (The copy in the link says it's for 1986-97 vehicles, but it should also work for your 99 CL).

Using this adapter, you can install just about any single-DIN head unit while retaining the Bose speakers and amplifier.
KaeZoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
azlnick

azlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to beholdazlnick is a splendid one to behold

For $100, you could get:

http://www.amazon.com/Autotek-ATX6-2...audio+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/612UA-MP3-Comp...ords=head+unit

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-7898-...ra+tl+dash+kit

Install it all yourself and you have a $100 budget system.

DISCLAIMER: All of these products are sh1t.
azlnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
amrogers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
Using this adapter, you can install just about any single-DIN head unit while retaining the Bose speakers and amplifier.
That is good info, thank you. The speakers sound fine in my opinion. I probably wouldn't even check into replacing the head unit unless she wanted a iPod jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlnick View Post
For $100, you could get:

Install it all yourself and you have a $100 budget system.

DISCLAIMER: All of these products are sh1t.
What about this guy: http://slickdeals.net/da/mem-i/p5523...1755296/r-9999

Again, since I don't know anything about car audio, I didn't think it would work w/o some modification + additional equipment (Amp?). Plus I believe the Bose speakers are different ohms than the 4 ohm Pioneer unit in the link above.

But seems like a decent deal for $60.