CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
BassBeBumpin

BassBeBumpin can only hope to improve

Battery Drain from Sound System

I'm relatively new to car audio. I installed a new system in my Jeep. I have everything hooked up properly.

Heres the problem:
As soon as I turn off my system and my Jeep the battery starts to drain. Comeback the next day and the battery is to dead to start. The battery works fine, when I unplug my system (I installed Anderson connectors) the Jeep starts fine the next day.

So... solutions and quick fixes?

I was thinking possibly add a toggle switch some how in the dash for added convenience but don't know how (I'm running 0 gauge)
or
you guys can help me figure out my problem.

Thanks for any help
BassBeBumpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your remote is not switching off. Did you run the remote wire on the amp to the remote/power antenna wire (blue) on your HU?
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
karan538

karan538 is on a distinguished road

Fix your remote
karan538 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS View Post
Sounds like your remote is not switching off. Did you run the remote wire on the amp to the remote/power antenna wire (blue) on your HU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan538 View Post
Fix your remote

Could be bad remote on the HU or on the amp.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest is a glorious beacon of light1967 Tempest is a glorious beacon of light1967 Tempest is a glorious beacon of light1967 Tempest is a glorious beacon of light1967 Tempest is a glorious beacon of light

X4. If that doesn't work, come back and we can show you how to check to see if you have a drain when the Jeep is off.

I have a toggle switch for my remote to the subwoofer amp. I installed it so I could quickly turn off the bass when the wife is in the car or if I am in my own neighborhood as to not tick off the neighbors! A great idea!

1967 Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
BassBeBumpin

Battery Drain

That's just the thing, I have my remote wire on whats called an Anderson powerpole connector, basically so I can remove my whole system easy or as a quick disconnect. Well I left it unconnected for a night (the remote wire) and the power still connected. There was still drain. I also put in toggle switches since, didn't help. I am puzzled beyond my imagination. The simplest answer would be a bad ground but I checked that. I also thought there could be a short in my amp but it cant be.
I just kind of want to find a way to place my power in-line with the ignition somehow so it only works when the jeep is on.
Any thoughts?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
BassBeBumpin

I think I actually Just figured it out. I have a soundstream 400 amp capcell, its like a battery and capacitor combined.
Anyways... The site says you do not need to charge it but when I checked it with a voltmeter a few weeks ago it read low voltage when not plugged in and it hasn't hat a chance to charge but just drains my battery looking to charge itself instead.
If I remember correct It didn't read voltage at my amp meaning the problem was prior and that's the only thing before.
I guess I can just hook it up to a battery charger, hopefully it doesn't blow-up from that.
I imagine it will hold the charge as well and not just let it go. I may even bypass the capcell and go straight to the amp, and leave it sit the night then check for battery drain.
The terminals to the input of the capcell were warm to the touch as well when plugged in meaning there was current draw.
Gosh I hope this works.
I'm gunna try tomorrow then update yall on my situation.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
TiMER

TiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeBumpin View Post
I think I actually Just figured it out. I have a soundstream 400 amp capcell, its like a battery and capacitor combined.
Anyways... The site says you do not need to charge it but when I checked it with a voltmeter a few weeks ago it read low voltage when not plugged in and it hasn't hat a chance to charge but just drains my battery looking to charge itself instead.
If I remember correct It didn't read voltage at my amp meaning the problem was prior and that's the only thing before.
I guess I can just hook it up to a battery charger, hopefully it doesn't blow-up from that.
I imagine it will hold the charge as well and not just let it go. I may even bypass the capcell and go straight to the amp, and leave it sit the night then check for battery drain.
The terminals to the input of the capcell were warm to the touch as well when plugged in meaning there was current draw.
Gosh I hope this works.
I'm gunna try tomorrow then update yall on my situation.
Don't put that thing on a battery charger, you'll probably blow it up. Read the manual, you may need to charge it like a capacitor, with a resistor. If you plugged it in already without charging it though, you might have already damaged it to the point that it can no longer hold a charge.
TiMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
BassBeBumpin

Long story short it was my source of drain, the company said they would give me a refund and ended up taking my money and product. Waiting on a call back from the better business bureau but.. I do not recommend these to anyone CAPCELLS DO NOT WORK.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond reputeCarAudioNub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeBumpin View Post
Long story short it was my source of drain, the company said they would give me a refund and ended up taking my money and product. Waiting on a call back from the better business bureau but.. I do not recommend these to anyone CAPCELLS DO NOT WORK.
Wish you would've asked before buying it here to save you money

Before buying any car audio (wiring, amps, speakers, literally EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING), ask about it on here. You get honest answers from minds that know more about car audio, every kind of audio, and sound in general than most people you'll ever talk to. These guys help on here simply for their enthusiasm of the hobby.

Don't ever hesitate to ask anything and always do the research they provide you. You'll save butt loads of money on crap, but end up spending more on quality. But, you'll at least be happy this way!

Good luck, welcome to the forum
CarAudioNub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
BassBeBumpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAudioNub View Post
Wish you would've asked before buying it here to save you money

Before buying any car audio (wiring, amps, speakers, literally EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING), ask about it on here. You get honest answers from minds that know more about car audio, every kind of audio, and sound in general than most people you'll ever talk to. These guys help on here simply for their enthusiasm of the hobby.

Don't ever hesitate to ask anything and always do the research they provide you. You'll save butt loads of money on crap, but end up spending more on quality. But, you'll at least be happy this way!

Good luck, welcome to the forum

Very true haha, out of close to $150 with the shipping back now lol

Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
BassBeBumpin

welp, got my money back finally lol, only a portion though