CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 02-12-2001, 01:54 AM   #1
miloco

miloco is on a distinguished road

Pioneer Keh-m5500 Wiring harness question

Hello all

I have this stereo, and my harness that plugs into back of stereo has been lost. So instead of paying 40 bucks for a new one I'm just gonna wire it straight up. But i need a picture or diagram of which wire is where in the harness! THANKS! (just to make clear without my stereo in car, I HAVE NO WIRES coming out of the back. In case you thought i was talking about other harness)
miloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-18-2001, 03:51 AM   #2
[IGU]Ronin

[IGU]Ronin is on a distinguished road

I had the same dilema one time. I bought a Pioneer stereo from Best Buy on clearance that had no plug. Feeling ambitous, I ripped it apart and found that they listed each terminal to its corresponding function. Although it was vague and took some time to decipher, eventually i got it to work. Be carefull though, opening your stereo could automatically void your warranty if you still have one. Also, make sure you make good, clean solders to the board and dont short anything, spacing was very limited in mine.
You will probablly have to do a complete teardown of the unit and could possiblly find the codes written on the bottom of the board. You might also be able to obtain a wiring schematic of the circuitry right from Pioneer, although they will more than likely charge you some big bucks for it. Good luck!!
[IGU]Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2001, 06:09 AM   #3
ATL-Jimbo

ATL-Jimbo is on a distinguished road

I've done the same to my old-school Pioneer head unit. http://www.caraudioforum.com/biggrin.gif I've actually got it apart at work right now. I'm going to up the display voltage just a bit because I can't see the display in the day-time. To take it apart, there's two screws on the top of the unit. after that, just bend the little clips out on the sides and lift the cover off. There are 4 screw holding the CD reader in place. Two are up high on the right side, and the other two are down low on the left. after you get these up, carefully pull the CD reader out of the unit. It's attached to the main board with a ribbon cable. use a small pick to slide open the ribbon-holder on the board. next, take two screw off the left side on the unit, and remove a metal plate attached to the heatsink. take one screw off of the back that is next to the front RCA wires. there's one screw on the board that grounds the thing. it's silver. take that out. Then you have to remove the face. if it's a detachable face, you will need to just unclip the sides with a pick. (don't mess with those tiny springs in there) if it's not detachable, remove two ting screws, one on each side. pull the face off and remove the ribbon connecting it to the board. the board is now held in place by a bunch of small bent pieces of metal that stick up through slots in the board. just take some small plyers and unbend them. make sure you get all on them, they can be hard to find sometimes. Now, remove one screw holding a metal piece down to the transistors. (the black things on the right side of the board). you can now lift the main board out of the unit. flip it over and use a de-solderer to remove the old harness plug. there are tiny labels next to each solder-point, so you can figure out which is which. solder in new wires. I suggest using jumper wires (you can get them ar radio shack) and then soldering your harness to these wires once the thing is back together. use some hot-glue on your wires to keep them stable. just coat it on them so that they don't move at the solder joints. put the unit back together in reverse order and you're done!
ATL-Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2001, 06:12 AM   #4
ATL-Jimbo

ATL-Jimbo is on a distinguished road

well, crap. I thought I had read that your's was a pioneer, miloco. Hope the instructions still helped if it's not! Oh wait. it is a pioneer. nevermind http://www.caraudioforum.com/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ATL-Jimbo (edited 02-20-2001).]
ATL-Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote