CarAudioForum.com

Old 11-03-1999, 11:54 PM   #1
13ill

13ill is on a distinguished road

Are Power Acoustik amps good?

How good are Power Acoustik amps?
I've been looking at a 680 watt Apache Series Power Acoustik. Yes, money is an issue here.

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-04-1999, 03:00 AM   #2
cain

cain is on a distinguished road

I am currently running an Apache 980 on 2 12" Pioneers. I am also into the cost cutting thing until college is over and I think that the amp you are going to use for your subs is one of the best places to save some money. I only gave $162 for this amp new, and for the money it does a great job. It is overrated I'm sure and I took that into conidersation when I got it. It is rated at 200wX2 RMS and my subs are rated at 160w RMS.

The major problems that I have with this amp are...
1.)The variable LP crossover (I have it set at about 100 hertz and I'm still getting some vocals from the subs. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is supposed to happen.)
2.)One of those purty blue neon meters vibrates when the subs hit hard.
3.)One channel is noticably more powerful than the other one.

Other than these basically minor complaints, the Apache does a good job. I would not reccomend using one on your mids/highs. One of my friends is pushing her entire system with an Apache 560 and it sounds like total crap--HU power is better than that. Get yourself a respectable amp for your mids/highs. I highly recommend Soundstream.

Old 11-04-1999, 03:02 AM   #3
cain

Where's my post?

Old 11-04-1999, 10:10 PM   #4
13ill

13ill is on a distinguished road

Alright, I am looking at a Power Acoustik Hammer Vu 500 watt 2 channel amp now. It looks pretty good for it's cost. I want to power two 12" Pioneers in a compressed bandpass. The subs are 160w*2 RMS and the amp is 130w*2 RMS at 4ohms.

Old 11-05-1999, 01:18 AM   #5
cain

Those are the exact subs I'm using. I'm feeding them "980" watts of Power Acoustic juice and I think that they could still take more. These amps are underrated, so I would definitely go with a bigger one. It shouldn't cost that much more.

On a side note...I wish now that I had gotten MTX 5000's instead of the Pioneer subs. Basically the same price range and the MTX is a better sub.

Old 11-05-1999, 05:51 AM   #6
tay tay

tay tay is on a distinguished road

I had a Power Acoustik Hammer Vu 500 watt 2 channel amp hooked up to my 2-12" RF XLC's bridged and it wasnt bone rattling bass but it still was decent btw the subs were in a snall bandpass box. Then I got a RF 400a4 and trust me you'll notice the difference.

*grin* But for the money its a great amp

JT