CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 10-31-2001, 10:27 PM   #1
magicman

magicman is on a distinguished road

JL Audio Subs with PPI 2360 Amp

Is this a good idea to get good sound quality ?
I'm not too bothered about SPL levels, but I'd like good quality and clarity in the sound they produce. I asked a shop guy and this is what he recommended
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-31-2001, 11:23 PM   #2
crrrolla

crrrolla is on a distinguished road

i used to have 2 10W0's off a ppi2360 and it pounded pretty hard, sounded good too. Nothing wrong with that setup.
crrrolla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2001, 11:37 PM   #3
magicman

thanks very much, any ideas as to what size a box should be for them ? I'd like to have them in two seperate boxes, one each side of the boot...

I'm pretty new to all this and would like to have a go at installing them myself.

Old 11-01-2001, 12:38 AM   #4
benasmith

Aura, Adire, Peerless

benasmith is a jewel in the roughbenasmith is a jewel in the roughbenasmith is a jewel in the rough

Assuming you get 2 12W0s, and you have that 2360 amp, with about 180W for each speaker, I would recommend puting them in around 1.2-1.3 cubic feet, sealed.

You can find enclosure specifications here, for various sealed and ported boxes for various alignments: http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w0.html
benasmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2001, 01:38 PM   #5
Kidd636

Kidd636 is on a distinguished road

hey how about 2 12W0s sharing a single sealed box? what's should be the box volume? I'm after SQ, so my friend says I should go for 3.5 cu. ft... is he right?
Kidd636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2001, 02:15 PM   #6
magicman

Quote:
Originally posted by benasmith
Assuming you get 2 12W0s, and you have that 2360 amp, with about 180W for each speaker, I would recommend puting them in around 1.2-1.3 cubic feet, sealed.

I was thinking of going for two 10"s......

Old 11-01-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
benasmith

Aura, Adire, Peerless

benasmith is a jewel in the roughbenasmith is a jewel in the roughbenasmith is a jewel in the rough

3.5 ft^ sealed for two 10W0s would be ridiculously large. Bad idea. Look at the recommended specs for crying out loud ( http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w0.html ); that would be twice the recommded volume!

IMO, a 12" subwoofer will always give you slightly better all-round performance than a 10", so you ought to go with the pair of 12W0s, if you can spare the slightly larger box. If you do use the 10W0s, put them in a smaller box, like .65 ft^3 each. I'm giving you these sizes based on the info from JL's website, using the fact that you have more power (180W) than the subs are rated for (125W), so you need a smaller enclosure than JL's nominal enclosure with 125W. Maybe someone with JL experience could put in some advice from experience here.

I know for a fact that 3.5 sealed would be way too big for the two 10W0s.
benasmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2001, 03:34 PM   #8
shaggyofnc

WHAT?? WHAT?? WHAT??

shaggyofnc is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: JL Audio Subs with PPI 2360 Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by magicman
Is this a good idea to get good sound quality ?
I'm not too bothered about SPL levels, but I'd like good quality and clarity in the sound they produce. I asked a shop guy and this is what he recommended

While I have never run any JL audio subs myself, I have certainly heard enough of them. I have owned a PPI amp and it was a good amp (the old Sedona 500! what a BMF it was--loved that amp for its impressive appearance and the reactions it got from people at the car shows even though it was horribly inefficient, power-wise)..

But the combination you are talking about, PPI amps and JL subs is one of the most common amp/sub combinations I have seen. I see them all time.. Not as much now as a few years ago, but still.. You will be in good shape.
shaggyofnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2001, 04:11 PM   #9
magicman

Quote:
Originally posted by benasmith
3.5 ft^ sealed for two 10W0s would be ridiculously large. Bad idea. Look at the recommended specs for crying out loud
Whoa there mate, the guy who pointed these figures out was talking about 12", not 10". I simply asked what sizes would be best.....

I will have a look at the JL site to get the correct specs, depending on which size I decide to go for, but please don't have a go at me for asking a question...

Old 11-02-2001, 01:37 PM   #10
Kidd636

Kidd636 is on a distinguished road

Woh benasmith...

Take it easy benasmith... better read a post clearly first before screaming ur head off... nyway, yup.. i was talking about two 12W0s.. NOT 10W0s k? I know that JL's recommended box volume for 2 12W0s is 3.0 cubes... but I'm after the softer bass or SQ so i wanna sacrifice a little SPL to get that deeper softer bass by slightly enlarging the box volume... just wanna know if goin from 3.0 cubes to 3.5 cubes would work well if i want better SQ...
Kidd636 is offline   Reply With Quote