CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Advanced

Old 02-05-2002, 02:39 AM   #1
luverboyx717

luverboyx717 is on a distinguished road

Protect light on my amp?

i got a Lanzar Vibe245 2 channel amp. I install it in my 300zx. it took forever to install. but when i finished, it wouldnt power my subs. and the protect light is on . does a protect light mean a dead amp? if not, than does a wrong install of power, remote, or gorund cause the amp to have the protect light on?
luverboyx717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-05-2002, 03:27 AM   #2
luverboyx717

im alos using that amp (2ohm, 4ohm stable) and trying to power a pair of punch xlc, both rated at 8ohms. is this setup compatable?

Old 02-05-2002, 04:33 AM   #3
toid

Menace to Sobriety

toid is on a distinguished road

If it is going into protection...check that your hook-up is clean, meaning no stray wire strands from power, ground, or remote touching other terminals. Make sure your speaker connections are hooked up right...not grounded. If your remote wire were grounded, your HU is at risk.
Dude, 2 8ohm subs in parallel presents a 4 ohm load. Bridged, the amp is "reading" a 2 ohm load...within the amp's specs.
Double check your speaker connections and make sure everything is ok. I've sold and installed MANY of these VIBE amps
and have had little problems with them...except when some kid hooks them up in 1 ohm and screws up the power supply.
I have seen a few where the power supply was damaged due to under-voltage...but that was the larger VIBE amps that draw a LOT of current bridged.
Could be you've got a dud...it happens sometimes. Did you get it new? Still under warrantee. If you bought it used, someone may have rode it too hard. Buying a used amp is like buying a used sports car.
toid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2002, 08:51 PM   #4
luverboyx717

wat do u mean if my wires are grounded?(im new) also, before putting in this system, there was a amplified bazooka installed. then i think the power and ground got toasted cuz they were touching each other alot. then i took it out. im not using the same power wire or ground. i changed it all out. Should i change the RCA and Remote wire too?

I know the power wire is in good, cuz i had a shop install it. But for some reason it dont look right. They said i needed a fuse for the power wire, and i told them to put one in. BUt when i picked up my car an hour later, they took a "15" fuse and placed it in a little crack(tiny empty spcae than goes all across the battery) in the battery is this right?

I tried turning on the amp without connecting it to the speakers, but the RED Protect Light is still on.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #5
Fluxx

Glue Victim

Fluxx is on a distinguished road

The fuse that they put in, an inline fuse, sounds right. I would try unhooking everything except the power, ground and remote wires. Check to make sure there are no small strands of wire stuck in the speaker terminals, and then turn on your amp. Is the protection light still on? Check your ground connection, a poor ground can cause the light to come on, a solid, clean ground is required. If that doesn't help, then it is very possible that you may have a bad amp. If the light is ok, continue adding connections one by one until it either works or by adding one paticular wire or RCA, the protection light comes on when you turn on the amp. This will tell you if there is a problem in the wiring and what wire it is or if it is a problem with the amp.
Fluxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2002, 08:54 PM   #6
luverboyx717

the box of my amp listed that it needs a 8 gauge power wire, but used a 10 guage instead. Would that be the reason why the protect light is on?