CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 04-26-2002, 07:31 AM   #1
nukezero

nukezero is on a distinguished road

Best subwoofer cut-off freq.? 50, 80, 125 Hz?

Okay guys, i have been running my car system for two months and little did I know, there was a setting all designed for subwoofer

anyways, what's the best Hz for Two Infinity kappa perfects 12.1 SVC ?

50, 80, 125 Hz?

the higher the more freq. it can play or the higher pitched the bass?

i just want strong, poudning deep bass!
nukezero is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-26-2002, 07:45 AM   #2
somemustangguy

Listen Before You Buy.

somemustangguy is on a distinguished road

listen to it first at each setting and set acordingly, you can also have a HPF set up for your Mains too. another Awesome feature on Pioneer decks. most subs are happy at around 80hz or 50hz if your subs can go that low.
somemustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Warbleed

Warbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Best subwoofer cut-off freq.? 50, 80, 125 Hz?

Quote:
Originally posted by nukezero
Okay guys, i have been running my car system for two months and little did I know, there was a setting all designed for subwoofer

50, 80, 125 Hz?

I would say 50 or 80, but definitely NOT 125hz.
The origin of all science is the desire to know causes, and the origin of all false science and imposture is the desire to accept false causes rather than none; or, which is the same thing, in the unwillingness to acknowledge our own ignorance.
- William Hazlitt
Warbleed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #4
nosduj

punk=black-people music??

nosduj is infamous around these partsnosduj is infamous around these parts

i like 80 myself...just my $.02
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 12:23 PM   #5
shaggyofnc

WHAT?? WHAT?? WHAT??

shaggyofnc is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Best subwoofer cut-off freq.? 50, 80, 125 Hz?

Quote:
Originally posted by nukezero
50, 80, 125 Hz?
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, you have some nice woofers there, but if you just want "strong, pounding deep bass", you could have found a better sub.. The Perfects are known for their SQ (although they are also good at SPL). I would recommend 80hz for the Perfects.. 50 is probably too low and 125? Gimme a break, that would sound horrible!
shaggyofnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
vw_good_sound

love the VW, drive the vw

vw_good_sound is on a distinguished road

actually i have my comp vr (in a big sealed box...1.33 and going to be bigger!) crossed at 125 hz and it sounds very good, my mids are high passed at 125... i dont have a mid bass driver and my sub takes care of it beautifully.

listening to Hotel California from the Hell Freezes over cd, ohhhhh is that cd well recorded or what!! the mid bass sounds amazing, and deep punchy kick!! Warm mids and bright clear highs!!
vw_good_sound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
Warbleed

Warbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond reputeWarbleed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by vw_good_sound
actually i have my comp vr (in a big sealed box...1.33 and going to be bigger!) crossed at 125 hz and it sounds very good, my mids are high passed at 125... i dont have a mid bass driver and my sub takes care of it beautifully.

listening to Hotel California from the Hell Freezes over cd, ohhhhh is that cd well recorded or what!! the mid bass sounds amazing, and deep punchy kick!! Warm mids and bright clear highs!!
That sealed box is still actually pretty small for a Comp VR (I'm assuming that's a 12), so it's going to have some exagerrated midbass characteristics. I say small in terms of Qtc. Probably within Kicker's recommended range, but the Qtc is still much too high for my tastes. Staging is helped dramatically with the crossover lower than that.
The origin of all science is the desire to know causes, and the origin of all false science and imposture is the desire to accept false causes rather than none; or, which is the same thing, in the unwillingness to acknowledge our own ignorance.
- William Hazlitt
Warbleed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #8
Diabolic

Diabolic is on a distinguished road

Let me pitch in another two pennies, with regard to a friend's system (all of mine finally goes in tomorrow, April 22nd).

We spent the better part of a day tuning everything and wound up crossing at 125Hz on two JL 10W3's, running everything above that into his Eclipse 6x9" (rear) and Polk 5 1/4"(front) coax's.

Not only did that allow a little more push from the component speakers, it sounded the best BY FAR. I know a majority of people tend to cross at 80Hz but the 10W3's just sound farkin fantastic at 125Hz.

And as with all car stereo rigs, there are about 50000 variables that make a difference. Just listen to it at the various settings and make sure you don't eliminate any frequency ranges through the crossing.
Diabolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2002, 10:30 PM   #9
Turbo2

Turbo2 is on a distinguished road

80hz is a good place to start with most subs
Turbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2002, 10:34 PM   #10
Krelkor

Liquid Tension Experiment

Krelkor is a splendid one to beholdKrelkor is a splendid one to beholdKrelkor is a splendid one to beholdKrelkor is a splendid one to beholdKrelkor is a splendid one to beholdKrelkor is a splendid one to behold

your amp doesnt have low pass on it?
Krelkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2002, 11:05 PM   #11
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

That is your HU X point isn't it? Sounds like a Pioneer HU sub filter. I suggest crossing it at 125, then setting your sub amp up to 80-100Hz LP. Don't use the HU filters controller to fine tune your amps.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #12
James02496

Adire+JBL= say what?!?

James02496 is on a distinguished road

I'v got my tempest @ 125hz.
James02496 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2002, 12:23 AM   #13
AudioMaster

Sum Magnus, Vici Orbus!

AudioMaster is a jewel in the roughAudioMaster is a jewel in the roughAudioMaster is a jewel in the rough

Well, it is just going to depend on your system. I hate haveing the subs be anything over 80hz. But unless you have good midbass you are going to have to cross them over higher. I suppose that is the reason why everyone is crossing them over higher in this thread is because they have weak midbass.

~AM
AudioMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #14
James02496

Adire+JBL= say what?!?

James02496 is on a distinguished road

I'm running just a component set (DEI's) and the Tempest.
James02496 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2002, 02:21 PM   #15
zabooza

zabooza is a jewel in the roughzabooza is a jewel in the roughzabooza is a jewel in the roughzabooza is a jewel in the rough

80, 80, 80!
zabooza is offline   Reply With Quote