CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-30-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
sanne

sanne is an unknown quantity at this point

The long awaited DEI Viper 650.2 Review is here!

Well, here is my semi-review of the speakers. For now I have them kind of half assed installed into my car, I just couldn't wait two weeks to install them. I have the mids down low in an mdf spacer, and the tweets in the sail panel surface mounted. I mounted the crossover onto my door and let me tell you, its freakin huge, finding a spot where it would fit took me awhile. I shaved off a lot of time running wires because DEI provides plenty of precut and terminated wires. Well, let me run down the rest of my system: alpine 7995 HU, zapco studio 300x Amp (150X2), no sub as of yet.

Well how do they sound?
These are easily the best component speakers I've heard to date. Totally eclipse my old CDT CL 61's in terms of clarity, midrange, midbass, and overall smoothness. I love the tweeter, it is so damn smooth and detailed yet never harsh. Also, the midbass POUNDS, goddamn i wasn't expecting that much from such a small motor. Imaging was pretty decent, but that's due to my poor placement. Haven't had much listening time, but first impression is excellent. I even ran these suckers full range and they didn't distort, but i found a crossover of around 60-70 would be best for this set. Overall I'm very happy with this set and for ANY comp. set under $400 you cannot beat the Vipers.
sanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-30-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
SonicTron

Invisible Title Here

SonicTron will become famous soon enough

its only $140 at sound domain....
SonicTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
deyton

I'm naked and fearless.

deyton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by SonicTron
its only $140 at sound domain....
That's where he got them .
deyton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
SonicTron

Invisible Title Here

SonicTron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by deyton
That's where he got them .
then it must be a damn good set if it beats the $400 stuff
SonicTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
sanne

I've heard ID Chameleons, JL XR's, and CDT HD's and can honestly say that these beat them out in terms of the overall presentation. Completely natural, there isn't really anything distinct about the sound which is why i like them. You hear the music as it was recorded.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
DJ Kontakt

THE guy with the 10kx

DJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Kontakt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to get to compare them to the Crystal CPE 60. I just picked up a set of those, the Vipers are next.
DJ Kontakt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
sanne

One more little test. I popped in the chemical brothers, and there is this one track that would always distort my CL 61's tweeters and midbass. Played it through on the vipers, NO DISTORTION. This is easily the most worthwhile $140 I've ever paid. Damnit, I really gotta get back to studying, these speakers are way too much of a distraction.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:01 PM   #8
alpin3

thumpin civic

alpin3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by sanne
One more little test. I popped in the chemical brothers, and there is this one track that would always distort my CL 61's tweeters and midbass. Played it through on the vipers, NO DISTORTION. This is easily the most worthwhile $140 I've ever paid. Damnit, I really gotta get back to studying, these speakers are way too much of a distraction.
what song?

also

why does it say 7" on sound domain, will they not fit on my car, 6 1/2 up front... wtf?
alpin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2003, 06:36 PM   #9
sanne

man I don't know the song name, and I lost the cd cover, but there are many tracks that would make my CDT tweets distort that just don't on my Vipers. Little by little I'm learning about the best spots for the tweets. Up on the sails is a tiny bit harsh, so have them facing off axis and firing towards each other, NOT POINTING AT YOU OR THE PASSENGER. The mid has very good off axis response though, and I think the tweet might serve better in the kicks with the +3db attenuation on the crossover.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:56 AM   #10
prerunnerv6

prerunnerv6 is on a distinguished road

sanne,

Sometimes Sounddomain get's the depth of speakers wrong. How DEEP are these speakers? Are they truly 7". (I have some Vifa PL's and they are huge.) And exactly how many settings do the tweeters have?

I too have the CDT CL6's. Though I'm happy with them, I seldom can resist a good deal and chance to try out new equipment.

Please give me the heads up!
prerunnerv6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2003, 04:22 AM   #11
prerunnerv6

prerunnerv6 is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll just find out for myself. After enough searching, and considering this Viper vs CDT review, I went ahead and ordered the Vipers and the Viper 2-channel amp that was on sale.
(I considered the CDT CF's on sale at thezeb, but I like trying different brands.)

This will be the first non-USAcoustics amp I've purchased in years and the first true top of the line speakers I've used.

I'm usually not a big fan of metal tweets, but the -6db setting looking interesting.

Thanks for the review.
prerunnerv6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2003, 05:13 AM   #12
md262626

CarStereoGuy

md262626 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've heard ID Chameleons, JL XR's, and CDT HD's and can honestly say that these beat them out in terms of the overall presentation. Completely natural, there isn't really anything distinct about the sound which is why i like them. You hear the music as it was recorded.
Not to be a smart a$$, but I hear this cliche used all the time. In all reality how would any of us know what the music sounded like in the recording studio. I think the only one's who could say if the speakers project the sound accurately, are the musician's themselves. Just my $.02!
md262626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2003, 05:57 AM   #13
sanne

This was said before but, many sets out there have a distinct sound. Focals are brighter and in your face, CDT's are laid back, Dyn's are very neutral, etc. I can't put really put the Vipers in any category because they aren't in your face, yet are not very laid back either. And they certainly aren't as neutral sounding as the Dyn's i've heard. But for $140 do you really care? For christ sakes just buy them and shutup.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:02 AM   #14
itsmike

itsmike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The DEI Vipers, the JL XRs and the CDT HDs are exactly the 3 sets I am looking into. Can you be more specific in why you like them better? Specifically, can you compare the clarity, and especially the midbass?
itsmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 AM   #15
sanne

First off, the most recent sets I've heard are the CDT HD's and the ID Chameleons. The HD's have great midbass and are quite laid back, too laid back for my taste, I just didn't like the tweeter and was looking for a slightly more detailed set. The ID Chameleons were the next set I heard an again I liked the midbass, but the midrange was very dark sounding for some reason and it didn't sound as good as the HD's. I did love the tweeter though, it sounded great off axis and had plenty of detail. I think that between the HD's and the Chameleons I liked the Chameleons better.

Now, the Vipers are a different sounding set than either the HD's or the Chameleons. First, the midbass is as good as both the HD's and the Chameleons. The kicker for me was the way the mid and tweet integrated and how smooth and balanced the sound was, while maintaining a sufficient level of detail. The midrange is forward and open, and is very clear at high levels. The tweeter is nice and "hot", but not harsh like some Focal tweets I've heard. I would compare this to the tweet in the JBL GTI set.

At the price they are now, I would jump on them because your not going to find them at this price for very long. Comparable CDT and ID sets go for $100-200 more so there really isn't any reason not to try them out at least.

That's about all I can say for now. I will post a more in depth review after my finals are over.